Monday, March 17, 2008

retracings

I was really drawn to the first two articles.  I thought the first one, by Dittborn, was interesting in the observation of the everyday.  The freezing of movement and light provided by photography seems to have informed the work of painters and draftsmen.  

I really enjoyed Merewether's article about the artists using the archive against the institution which holds it.  He says these artists "use photographs that represent the moments before which the body becomes absent.  In doing so, they question how and what it is that photography remembers and forgets- for whom and for what purpose."  For me, this question has been raised throughout this book... who decides what is important and he mentions the dangers of history being written by the victors.  I look forward to looking up these artists' work, I am intrigued by the last sentence in this article... "The photographs become a memorial, a site where memory and forgetfulness can face each other."

No comments: