Monday, March 3, 2008

Susan Stewart and The Epistemology of the Horror Story

I began the day by searching for archives on speeches and couldn't find anything that was available and interesting to me. So, I began doing some reading in Susan Stewart's book "On Longing" for another class and noticed that she had read portions of the book at several conferences. Would this fit into the idea of a speech or an event.
In "On Longing: Narratives of the Miniature, the Gigantic, the Souvenir, the Collection" Stewart says that she is interested in the "disease" we call nostalgia. She goes onto say that in her essays she examines "the relations of narrative to origin and object." I would argue that the archive is a kind of narrative that relates to particular origins and objects. Therefore, it seemed appropriate to include Stewart's words regarding collecting in our collection of speeches.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find (so far) any sites related to the conferences she mentions with transcripts of the speeches. But, would the book count as a kind of archive?
In any event, here is a link to an example of her work titled "The Epistemology of the Horror Story." In the introductory paragraph Stewart says, "The narrative structure of the horror story exaggerates and displays the sequentiality of all narrative structures; hence its adaptability to the monologic narrative voice, to the phenomenon of one page after another..." With this in mind, our karaoke project will have the quality of horror with its sequentiality of narrative structures, monologic narrative voice and phenomenon of one page after another.

Here is the link to the article on JSTOR. I hope it works.



PS
The other main idea that I was thinking of, but was unable to find any really good information about were readings by Jack Kerouac as it is the anniversary year of "On the Road."

No comments: