Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Model of the Sciences

I was particularly interested in the essay, The Model of the Sciences by Anne Moeglin-Delcroix. Discussing the work of artists, particularly since the 1960’s who utilize scientific or sociological investigations. I found a strong bond to her article as I have been drawn to contemporary artists of that genera as I pursue my own work that deals with analysis, typology, repetition, and empirical data as tools for conceptual visualization.


She mentions artists Armand Gett and herman de vries, both who began in the sciences and only later pursued the arts. Both artists often worked on projects that delt with typology and classification. As well she used Bernd and Hilla Becher as another good example of photographers utilizing that criteria in their work.


At first I was a little confused as to how “the imitation of sciences” as she states,  relates to the archive, if the artist in question is not working with archival material. But she explains this on pg.111 as it is the use of classification that links the work to the archive and also it is the link between knowledge and the archive.


So that definition explains the work of August Sanders and Blossfeldt, who were not working from archives, but by the use of the scientific methods of collection and classifications were working in an archival manner.

Kirk

No comments: