I agree with Camille that these articles seem idealistic. In reading Beuys, it is hard for me to imagine every single person taking the role of artist. I mean, I have a hard time thinking George Bush would consider himself an artist, and if he would, what those notions of art would be.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Debord says, " What alters the way we see the streets is more important than what alters the way we see painting." In this, I feel he is suggesting that our goal as artists is to change the everyday perspective, not just affecting the minority that may see our work in a gallery or museum setting and be "touched" by its emotive or controversial qualities. In thinking about that, I find it amusing and interesting the way Adrian Piper gives her "Funk Lessons". She is not only investigating individual issues of identity and communication, but also trying to breakdown social and cultural barriers of understanding one another, in the streets, so to speak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment