ECO
The essay by Eco had me thinking about music a lot. When a musical group covers someone elses song, I think it gives them a freedom to do different things with it and really “have fun” with it; often times resulting in something almost totally unique and better than the original, (at least to me anyway). I think this is because artists have a very difficult time editing their own work. They need different opinions , separate views and special advice. Collaboration is almost always a key ingredient to any great work of art – ( even though sometimes it may not be presented in that way). Take ,for example rap music or (hip hop) – in my opinion it is not the highest form of music because often times you are starting out with someone else’s melody ; but that’s not to say that it is not a very valid , very important form of music. And some rap songs that did start with someone elses melody, will go down in music history as important art and some of the best songs ever ( partially written). These songs probably usually had a great number of people working on the writing ,producing, mixing,editing, re-mixing,- big collaboration projects , if you will.
When it comes to originality, I don”t like to say that nothing is original anymore , I prefer to say that some art is more original than other art-if that makes any sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment