Tuesday, April 29, 2008

johnnys blog

I liked the music and movie references in the helio article referring to Nat King Cole covering mediocre songs but making them great songs ,due to his exceptional ability; “ creating a vocal expressive structure that is independent from the song he interprets. This is a creation that is not simply interpretative but pertains to a highly expressive vocalist. An actor such as Marilyn Monroe for example, due to her all-encompassing interpretative presence, possesses above all else a creative quality, which is structurally expressive. Her presence in certain mediocre films makes these films uncommonly interesting, a fact that is due to her action as interpreter. What is interesting here is the vocalization of Nat and the interpretative act of Marilyn, independent of the quality of the interpreted score or script, even if these possess , of course, a value that is relative and not absolute as before.” I think some more current examples could be maybe Madonna in the movie “deperately seeking suzan”- I know some young women that idolize her character in that movie, and Madonna’s interpretative presence makes the movie memorable (at least to some people anyway.)

I thought the notes on funk article had a lot of useful points in it for our class to examine for our respeaking event; like the number of people in the inside room when a person does a repeaking for example ( if theres more than 8 it probably will change the dynamics and feel of the moment giving it a party type atmosphere.) I feel that the quotes and music and images we chose(content) will be far less of the determinant on a successful outcome of the event as a whole: as will factors like collaboration,collectiveness, and most importanly participation. I think at this point in our process we should be putting the majority of our energies into figuring out ways to get as many people as we can to REALLY PARTICIPATE in the karaoke jam. “ get down and party together” is the real art here. Right?

No comments: