Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Extreme Metaphor

In relation to the ideas about community in Nancy and Ranciere I wrote down some uncensored thoughts relating to artists and community. I was not going to post these initially. They do seem , in light of Dina's post, to be more related in terms of discussion.


I think artists have a certain skill in saying what can not be said in other ways. That is, perhaps an ability to make connections that can not be made other ways, in other words "imagination" Perhaps not everyone in the "community" has access to or wishes to entertain. That is artists being able to go places (mentally) that others are unwilling or unable to go with their thoughts. It does not always begin in relation to a community or others, it may later reside there but does not initially in its formative state include it. It is not inclusive, it does not need to be part of anything...It can be individual, divided, alienated without responsibility. It may be antagonistic to the idea of being part of a greater whole.

However I think that there is responsibility on the part of artists. Just because you can think it, it doesn't mean you should always act on it.
There can be ideas for possible audience or future. Dina's entry regarding Guillermo Vargas Habacuc may be a good example of this. There may be a point of going to far.

No comments: